Monday 1 July 2013

Rome - The Eternal City

So I've taken a month to reflect on our trip to Rome.  I have to say that Rome is Amazing! And if you get a chance to go there... you should! It's got everything.. nice people, great food, amazing wine, history, ruins, culture on top of culture, art, and that all famous thing you don't talk about... religion!

Roman Market Ruins
1st off we were told "Watch out! You'll get pick pocketed in Rome!"  And yes, we did see this happen.  I kinda think we luck out though. We've never had any trouble (maybe due to the baby).  But we did see it happen to others.  At the main train station there were quite a few instances. First while buying a metro ticket people would help press the buttons for you and demand a tip. This only happened to us once and the other times we never had any trouble. But then in the supermarket (cause with a baby you always find the closest super market) there was an instance of a lady trying to pick pocket another lady and she found out. A near fight ensued and they both were kicked out.  The next day sure enough the pick pocket was back in the shop looking for new
where Caesar's body burned 
targets. And all this with a security guy watching... which leads me to this...  You wouldn't think that Italy is super poor or a needy country but it actually is in need. Look up their history.  It hasn't been that great since the Roman civilization crumbled. They have been in and out of political mess and struggle for a long time. And it's a shame. It's such an amazing place with lots of people that go out of their way to make you happy to visit. But it's a reminder that people gotta eat and if you get pick pocketed it's probably because they need it more than you.
We did almost get pick pocketed; as I leave a diaper bag just hanging out. But it only had diaper's and wipes and I think the guy that was going for it realized that it would probably not help him at all. But if it had... I would have gladly gave it over to him.

While in Rome we did as the Romans did. Drink the house wine! Wine flows like water in Italy and it's amazing.  This breaks one of my trip planning rules but heck... while in Rome!
Tombstones at the museum

The reason I like Rome is because it holds so much history and it corresponds to religious history. Hands down I should have been a history major. I love it!  And Rome's got it! Roman ruins are everywhere. Catacombs can be found in the city and out. It's amazingly preserved! And this is why it's the eternal city because it will always hold these great cultures from years past. But one of the most amazing things is... Rome holds the tombstones from a very important time in history. The time when religion changed history! When Roman emperor Constantine converted to Christianity.  Before then all Christians were treated really badly and I mean burn you on a stake badly. But Rome ruled the known world and the emperor converted to this little religion and bam! it changed everything.  This is reflected in the tombstones. They have Roman pagan tombstones, Christian tombstones and Jewish tombstones.  This was a HOLY COW moment for me... when the world changed. In the history books they even say in Rome you were
St Peters in Vatican City
killed to be a Christian and just 100 years later you were killed if you weren't a Christian. Crazy how fast something like that can move through the world.  But even then... the most amazing thing about these tombstones (no matter which religion) is that they all hold a positive message. A message of Peace and Love... time honored and humbling to see.

I can't post a blog without touching on the one topic your not supposed to talk about, Religion! We spent a lot of time in Vatican City. In fact, we ended up sacrificing a stuffed
Sistine chape
animal there (joking - we always loose a toy in every city we go to).  As a raised Roman Catholic (and a I don't know what I am now) I have to say that my initial impression of St. Peter's Cathedral was "Wow! This is over the top!" and I felt.... ASHAMED!  Yes, I said it ashamed to be Catholic (must be the catholic guilt).  It was so over the top that I thought of the people begging in the streets and pick pocketing and I couldn't get over it.  Logically I know the church does things but emotionally I was sad.  The grandeur and wealth was too much.  This is why I needed a month to reflect on our visit.  Because my whole life I was brought up to believe this certain thing (shoot I was even an alter girl) and here it was in front of me and I held this overwhelming guilt. And what brought me back from this was found in my yoga studies (believe it or not).

What I have come to understand is that each of us (as in each human) holds this capability (what we are good at) and that is a reflection of God (or what ever God means to you).  And so... these stone masons, artists, architects, etc have created through their own hand what God means to them and through their work we have a brief view of divinity.  I think this is why the Sistine chapel is so moving.  One man (Michelangelo), created this work of art. One man had a vision. And one man made it a reality. And in the end, that one man questioned if his soul would go to heaven.

Oh, Rome... I think the wine makes me think too much...

No comments:

Post a Comment